Sunday, April 03, 2016

Impure thoughts #3: My orange crush

Montblanc Writers Edition Hemingway. Photo credit: Montblanc
Jonathon Deans' recent acquisition of the rarefied Montblanc Hemingway, his longtime grail, has inspired in me a new pen crush. The Hemingway is a vision of strong orange and black, squat and solid in form, with clean lines and a stunning Montblanc nib. It really is a fabulous pen and one of the most sought-after Montblancs of all time. Hemingways generally go for more than $2k, which sadly places it well beyond my current reach, making this one grail pen that I'll likely never own.

There are, however, other options! The vivid red-orange colour of the Hemingway references the legendary Parker 'Big Red' Duofold of yore, an iconic pen that is another must-have item for serious fountain pen collectors. Due to its elevated status many other pen manufacturers have paid homage to this look besides Montblanc, giving poor folk like me a few red-orange alternatives available at only two- or three-digit prices, rather than four!

One such pen is the limited edition Sailor Realo produced for the Classic Fountain Pens 25th anniversary, produced only as 88 examples and now long since sold-out; and of course the Parker Duofold re-issue itself, available in International and Centennial (the larger of the two) sizes.

CPF 25th LE Sailor Realo. Photo credit: Classic Fountain Pens
Parker Duofold. Photo credit: Parker Pens

The most recent manufacturer to pay homage to this look is Pelikan, with their limited edition M800 Burnt Orange fountain pen. When I first laid eyes on this pen I liked it well enough, but did not fall in love. Compared to the shimmer of the striated Souveran models its resin body seemed flat and dull, despite the strong orange tones. At that time however I was an uncultured oaf ignorant of the history of this look and design, and did not recognise the context of the look. Now that I am so much more learned and cultured the Burnt Orange just seems to make sense to me, and my new appreciation of its aesthetics has been swiftly followed up by a new craving to make one my own!

Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange. Photo credit: Pelikan

In the future - when I grow up, perhaps - I would love to acquire a Montblanc Writers Edition Hemingway fountain pen. Until then the Burnt Orange will sate my orange crush quite admirably.

Hello!

Welcome to my little inky blob.

Here I ponder pens, play with inks, and share my sewing creations of pen wraps and pouches. The sewing is a new venture that I am really enjoying right now, and it's great to have fun making things that help others enjoy our awesome fountain pen hobby even more!

I have another blob, wherein I run too much. If you are interested in one, you are more than likely uninterested in the other. Then again, you might well be. After all, I am.

Cheers! Lisa.

Blog Archive