Wednesday, January 20, 2016

First impressions: Pilot Elabo Resin SEF & J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor


I am lucky enough to have the loan of a friend's Pilot Elabo (Falcon) with soft extra-fine nib. I have wanted to try this pen for many, many months and it was in fact my first pen crush. Despite these lustings I have not yet purchased one due to vapour-locking at the decision between the resin and metal versions. Reading reviews, many commented that the metal was heavier, and I did want this pen for long writing sessions. On the upside however the metal version looks as lot classier to my mind, and can accommodate the longer Con-70 converter. 

Now that I have this pen in my hand I am struck at how small the resin body actually is, and how light! It is smaller than the Pilot 912, which itself is I would say medium size, certainly not large. The metal version is definitely the better body option for me; that nib, however, shines no matter the housing.

This pen has the soft extra-fine nib, combining the needlepoint tip of a Japanese extra-fine with the capacity to blow out to a broad line given some peer pressure. It is lovely, exceedingly fine yet smooth to write with, though I was surprised - nay, shocked - at just how little flex is to be found in that 'soft' nib. Yes, it flexes, but nothing like I'd imagined. To be fair however I have had the FA nib before this one, and my Conid titanium flexes in the slightest breeze, but this just isn't as soft as I'd expected. Which really makes it kind of perfect for my intended use! An extra-fine nib for long sessions that has a soft feel, plus the versatility of some flex for headings and random fun.

 

My first fill in this pen was a sample of J. Herbin's incredible Emerald of Chivor, a rich green-blue ink with fine gold shimmer that is a member of the 1670 Collection. I made the fill not expecting to see much light at all from such a fine nib, but was astounded to note the gold shining through even on the normal, unflexed writing - in fact, due to the relative dryness of these words compared to those laid down in flood of flex, the shimmer is even more pronounced!

The ink is smooth to write with even through such a fine nib - some props of course to the 'softness' of this nib, mind - and this is one ink trial that has absolutely convinced me to purchase the ink. I have loved the look of it since its release, but being an EF writer simply didn't expect the glow to show! I am blown away and am using it this week to write in my Midori 5-Year Journal; I use a different pen & ink combination across entire weeks to create some visible structure to the year and reduce visual messiness of a different nib & ink every day.

Egads! The paper is Rhodia lined, those are 7mm lines, and my unflexed writing is t i n y.. yet, still, SHIMMER! 

So these are my first impressions so far of both the Elabo Resin SEF and of J. Herbin's Emerald of Chivor. I'll do some Proper reviews on both later this week I think, but having just completed one of my Visconti Skeletor I'll wait until the weekend. It is exhausting to be so thorough when one would rather simply prattle on a bit! There is a lot more to talk about regarding this nib, the treatments that one can do to enhance it, and alternative flexy nib options, but I'll save those for my pen review.

Photo credits: Millyjane via Bookbinders Online
The journal shown in these shots is the Midori 5-Year Journal, available here from the wonderful folk at Bookbinders Online. There is a 3-Year version available, at the same dimensions, basically for those who wish to write a little more about each day. Being someone pessimistic about the daily excitement value of my life, plus totally won-over by the swoon-worthy brilliance of that red cover, I sprang for the 5-Year model and find that with my miniscule writing it suits me fine.

The journal is $65.00, which on a cost-per-use basis over five years (shut up yes okay I do justify everything this way, *ahem* LV workbag!) works out to just 3.365¢ per day to create memories for a lifetime. Add another $10 to your Bookbinders order, and shipping is free! I absolutely love this store by the way, but since I think that Proper reviews on the myriad fountain pen and stationery stores out there should also be a thing, I shall honour them with my first store review. 

Hello!

Welcome to my little inky blob.

Here I ponder pens, play with inks, and share my sewing creations of pen wraps and pouches. The sewing is a new venture that I am really enjoying right now, and it's great to have fun making things that help others enjoy our awesome fountain pen hobby even more!

I have another blob, wherein I run too much. If you are interested in one, you are more than likely uninterested in the other. Then again, you might well be. After all, I am.

Cheers! Lisa.

Blog Archive