Sunday, January 24, 2016

Impure thoughts #1: Visconti Voyager in Amber

I hold in my mind's eye a vision of my dream 20-pen case, stocked with every pen that ever crossed my wishlist. (Yeah, I'm gonna need a bigger case..)

Some of the pens therein I am already certain of - the Visconti Homo Sapiens, in Bronze for example, a full range of Custom 823s, and a Nakaya of some shape in the lamentably discontinued Ao-tamenuri. Others I identify only by vague parameters, such as wanting a fountain pen in wood, something raden and something else maki-e, and who knows what in a beautiful bottle green.

One of those vaguer, less-certain certainties is a fountain pen body in a beautiful, rich, semi-translucent amber, as much like the real stuff as possible. Said real stuff has always fascinated me, being fossilised resin it's like a time capsule of the lifeblood of ancient trees, especially when insects and other critters are captured within. A shiny golden lump of history from before history was invented!

Well I may have found a candidate, if not the funds to purchase yet: a Visconti Voyager in Amber. This one is new-old-stock, made of Visconti's proprietary Acryloid material, a mixture of acrylic and celluloid that demonstrates a good deal of the rich depth of the latter whilst being much safer to work. The colours are very true to genuine Baltic amber - rich swirls of deep golden yellows and orange, with streaks of black snaking through. The apparent texture and consistency also mimics amber well, showing crystalline characteristics in some areas, with pools of translucent amber elsewhere, and tiny flecks throughout.




Unlike most NOS I see on the market, the nib is Fine rather than Medium, so at least a little closer to my preferred width! This pen is about as perfect for my amber love as possible; now to start saving..

Hello!

Welcome to my little inky blob.

Here I ponder pens, play with inks, and share my sewing creations of pen wraps and pouches. The sewing is a new venture that I am really enjoying right now, and it's great to have fun making things that help others enjoy our awesome fountain pen hobby even more!

I have another blob, wherein I run too much. If you are interested in one, you are more than likely uninterested in the other. Then again, you might well be. After all, I am.

Cheers! Lisa.

Blog Archive